Is one enough?

I have been thinking for a cat purchase eventually and was wondering if it was better to have two cats than one. Whats the differences? And if it is a good idea to have two would it be a good idea to have them from the same litter or just from different places? Any answer would be amazing!

Asked by Member 1153995 on Feb 6th 2013 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Well, I have a plaque on my wall that says "Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one." I have 3. They all have different personalities and were all adopted at different times. They are not related. The main differences mostly have to do with finances. A responsible owner keeps their cat(s) vetted yearly, spayed or neutered, and fed the best food they can afford. You'll use at least twice as much litter and food. I take it one step further and my cats have a carpeted cat "perch" condo/climber by the window and individual hand-made beds. You will have twice the daily scooping and weekly scrubbing of the boxes. Twice the grooming. I've talked with people who have 5 or 6 cats and I believe THAT'S when it becomes overwhelming, especially if you don't have help. Same litter doesn't matter as cats don't subscribe to "family ties". You can adopt 2 cats from the same shelter, however.Go to a reputable shelter and speak to them. Be honest and open to their suggestions. And,good luck!

Aloo

You should get two for sure! That's what I did when I got my babies a few months ago. If you are adopting adults, ask the shelter which two get along well. If you are adopting kittens, you need not worry as they will get along just fine, even if they are not related or from same place :)

Aloo answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

Cats actually do get along great in pairs. If you are considering having only 1 cat I would look at a shelter for a cat listed as 'only cat' as you know they wont feel badly about not having another feline companion. Kittens always fair better with a buddy because they are so busy and like snuggling with another furry body. Just keep in mind the extra costs and cleaning like the other poster mentioned! I have 2 cats, my 2nd cat I got kind of by accident and I worried that him and my existing cat wouldn't bond. I've had my second cat for about 2 months now and I can honestly say that even though they don't cuddle they do enjoy the others company!

Hunter answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer