Hootie

Is my kitten's pot belly normal?

I have recently taken in a three week old abandoned kitten. I've been feeding her milk replacer from a bottle; about 2 teaspoons four times a day -- is that enough? Is it too much?
Since I began feeding her that she has grown a round belly, it's soft but still seems big.
I was so worried so I made her poop using the "Triangle Method" this morning and A LOT came out. a few hours later I did again and she pooped a bit.
However, she still has her round belly and I'm wondering, is this normal?
Please help! I have no previous experience with cats but I'm already attached to this little love bug.

Asked by Hootie on Aug 25th 2013 Tagged potbelly, feeding, kitten in Food & Nutrition

Answers

She probably has worms. Find a vet and ask what is the youngest age that you can bring a kitten in for a check-up and to start with shots. Buy a carrier for safe travel before you go, and start making the food more oatmealy (use the powder mix) and have her eat from a bowl starting in Week #4. In Week #5 you can mix a healthy wet kitten food into the mix such as NutroMax, and by Week 6 you can start mixing in dry food like Natural Choice kitten (in pet stores). Your kitten will love it and will switch over to dry food only by 8 weeks, since she got a late start. Thanks for rescuing! ^_^