Jamaica

Is my cat really a siamese mix?

I adopted this beautiful girl last week from a lady that fed her dog food, and let her be an indoor/outdoor cat while still intact :(
She was listed as a siamese mix, and I've since had people tell me that she's mixed with snowshoe and/or ragdoll. She has an appointment to be spayed, but I'm just curious to see what others think. She has a very sweet personality even as she's adjusting to her new home, and actually feels more comfortable around my 4 year old than anyone else. She loves to hunt and 'forage' (i.e. she 'found' 3 loaves of bread to rip open). I've put her on Purina Indoor Life and also gotten her a litterbox, both of which she's adjusted to with no problems. I can upload more pics if needed, and any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, the orange marks on her legs are Red Ga Clay from running around at her previous owners house.

Asked by Jamaica on Jul 11th 2009 in Breeds

Answers

Maggie

Well, first of all, congratulations on rescuing her from a bad life and I wish you the best of luck with your new girl! Yes, she is most likely a Siamese mix if she has blue eyes. That is the most common blue eyed breed that is out there mix breeding with DSH cats. Maybe a Showshoe which would account for the "bicolor" marking on her head. There is really no way to tell for sure. But Ragdolls are usually sold with a spay/neuter agreement. Not impossible to get out and breed into the DSH population, just far less likely than Siamese which are a much more common breed and more likely to be sharing their genes with the stray cat population. But please do add more pics to her page, just so everybody can enjoy her pretty markings.

Maggie answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

I just looked at the pics you loaded and she does look like a snowshoe because of the markings so I'd guess she's a snowshoe mix. She's very pretty and lucky that you adopted her.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lucy Nooner

Jamaica is beautiful! I think she looks quite a bit like my Lucy!

Lucy Nooner answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

What a pretty cat! Congratulations on adopting her! I would agree that she probably has some Siamese in her background. Ragdolls are big cats (one of the largest breeds), and have long hair so I would be less inclined to think Ragdoll. Snowshoes are a relatively new breed so less likely to be Snowshoe. Technically though, without being acquired from a reputable breeder or having any papers to prove her background - she's a Domestic Shorthair. You could list her as a Domestic Shorthair/Siamese mix. Guessing the backgrounds of a domestic mix cat is just that - a guess. She really doesn't need a breed, she's pretty, loved, and has a great home

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Karma

Congratularions on your new purr-baby! In my opinion Jamaica IS a Siamese mix. She's beautiful and so are you for opening your heart and home to her.

Karma answered on 7/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer