Is my cat peeing on my bed because I don't give him on the spot attention?

My cat Bobo is about 6 months old and is neutered. Recently he has started peeing on my bed. Within the past month, he has peed on the bed three times now. It's always on my side of the bed, not my husbands, but in different spots. I've come to think that it's because when I'm trying to fall asleep, I stop paying attention to him, and that's when he pees on the bed. I clean his litter box at least every other day, and shows no other signs of it possibly being a UTI. My husband and I have recently started locking Bobo out of the room at night because of this. The cat hates this. He'll meow at the door for hours until he gives up and sleeps. What can I do to get him to stop peeing on the bed so we can let him in the room with us?

Asked by Member 1200977 on Nov 23rd 2013 Tagged peeing, bed, pee, pees, at, night, lack, of, attention in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

First off, purchase a black light and see the extent of the pee damage and how deep it goes. You might need to purchase a waterproof mattress cover to protect your bed. Mine is cotton and does not feel like a rubber crib sheet. If the scent is still in your linens, he will continue to resoil where he has marked. Wash all linens (and the mattress if the pee went that deep) with nature's miracle or another pheromone remover for cat urine. See if that does the trick. After you do all that if your cat resoils, there's nothing wrong with keeping him out of the bedroom. He will need something in its place like a window perch, cat tree or scratchers and toys in other parts of the home to make up for the lack of bedroom access. Good luck! ^_^

Smokey

I would definitely get a urinalysis before I tried anything else. With many pets, the only sign of a UTI is indiscriminate voiding, often in places that are soft feeling since it is painful for them to go.
I have a dog who gets frequent UTI's and the ONLY symptom he has is that he will pee on my bed. Sure enough, a urinalysis shows a pretty severe UTI, which responds rapidly to antibiotics.
It is very likely this is your guys problem, too.

Smokey answered on 11/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer