Secret

Is my cat lazy or mad? Pooping issue.

I have had my female cat for about 5 months. She has been sweet and until now I haven't had any issues. It started one night when I was laying on my bed watching tv and she was in her usual spot, between my feet. Then all of a sudden she stood up and... pooped. At first, I though, accidents happen, I cleaned everything up and then the next day I was in the kitchen and she was in her usual spot on an arm chair. Then she stood up and... pooped. So after the second time, I though maybe she was sick? Maybe she didn't like her litter? Maybe she is stressed about something? but she isn't sick, I have changed her litter twice and I can not see what she could be stressed about, nothing has altered her lifestyle, she is still affectionate to me. But it didn't stop there, now almost every day I have to clean up poop. She will be on the window seal, just down walk to the a corner and just drop one. Its not the same place, not the same time. I have even seen her stand next to her box and drop one.

Asked by Secret on Sep 30th 2012 Tagged poop, litter in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Does she use the box at all? If so, she may have what we call a "cling-on" and she's not actually pooping by has one stuck on her rear that drops when she stands up. If it's happening every day, you need to at least call her vet for advice. She could have too much fiber in her diet and it's causing her to lose control. You don't want her to live like this all her life if all she needs is an adjustment in diet. However, ask your vet what the best food would be. Don't experiment on your own as it could aggravate the issue. Make sure her box is in a quiet, private place and that no one hassles her when she's in there. Try putting out another box for her. Don't keep changing litter brands. My cats don't care, but some do and protest by not using the box. If she's not spayed, she needs to be. Cats will use feces to "mark" just like urine and not being fixed doesn't help. You do need to chat with your vet about this issue. She may not be "sick", but something is going on.