is it true that you can't get a cat's ears wet, and that if you do they will get an ear infection.

i don't always have a squirt bottle handy and i usually lightly smack her on the head.

Asked by Member 1149820 on Jan 13th 2013 Tagged punishment, biting, scratching in Scratching

Answers

Please see my answer to your previous question. And yes, water in the ears is a big cause of ear infections in animals and humans. You should not be spraying her directly in the face anyway. I use a spray bottle on my dogs and NEVER shoot them right in the face. I spray their feet or over their backs. They understand that I only use the bottle when they're doing something they shouldn't. It's at the point now where they just have to see the bottle and they stop. Overuse of the bottle will cause it to lose it's effectiveness. You can tape a few pennies into a soda can and shake it at her whiile saying (NOT shrieking) "NO!" But remember that she is an animal and animals live what they learn. If she's over-punished she wil become anti-social and fearful of people. If you feel there are issues with her, perhaps a chat with your vet might be the best way to go.