Is it true that after the neutering a cat he becomes lazy and easily gain weight?

Please, i need honest answers! Don't say that it's not true just because neutering is good. I know it's good, but i would like to know the truth! Do male cats after the neutering becomes lazy and easily gain weight?

Thank you...

Asked by Member 657702 on Jul 22nd 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Neutered tom cats will roam/fight less and be more content to stay at/near home with you. So they will get less exercise but are no more likely to gain weight than a female cat and will still be playful. If you play with him/give him toys that will help him get some exercise. Watch how he eats - some cats will self manage what they eat and not gain weight - others will pig out and get fat. If he starts gaining weight just give him measured meals rather than a bowl of kibble always available.

Neutering him is best to avoid him spraying and roaming. Just make sure he gets exercise from playing and watch what he eats and you'll be fine.

No, male cats do not become fat and lazy after getting neutered. As someone said once there are no fat cats, just overfed cats. Regular play sessions 10-15 minutes twice a day should also be encouraged. Just like people, cats can become "couch potatoes" if bored and then may simply sleep most of the day. So, neutering itself will not make your cat fat and lazy. Controlled portions of a good quality food, a stimulating environment and play sessions will keep your cat happy, active, and fit.

Munchkin

Yes, they can get lazy, however they only gain weight if they don't get enough exercise (i.e. play time) and/or if they are being overfed. When we got Munchkin neutered, he became a lot more mellow and more affectionate. He gained weight when we first got him from the shelter (he was not neutered) and after we got him neutered, he lost a lot of weight due to all the exercise he was getting. So it just depends, I think most cats mellow out after being fixed, but whether they will gain weight or not depends on if the owner isn't exercising the cat or if he's overfeeding him.

Hope I answered your question :-)

Munchkin

Munchkin answered on 7/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boris

Lazy is a personality trait more than a consequence of neutering. Do some cats become lazy after neutering? Perhaps, but they probably would have become lazy adult cats anyway. Cats in general slow down after they turn one, unless you make a point to play with them and keep them fit and start doing it right away.

If you're worried about a cat you have becoming lazy, and you're not sure you can always keep him active, you could try to get a kitten or other cat for your cat to play with. I know the kitten mom got to keep me company has definitely helped me become more active. But being neutered had nothing to do with needing motivation to stay active extra, feeling alone and being bored was the main culprit.

Boris answered on 7/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You've gotten some very good answers. I'd just like to add that there was no difference in behavior after I had my two boys neutered. They were raised to be active, well-behaved cats (well, mostly well-behaved ;-) ) I am always very careful what and how much I feed them. I play with them each day to keep them active. Neutering prevents many male cat cancers. It gives them less reason to spray and mark their terrirtory inside and out. It calms them down because they're no longer "on the hunt" for females in season or males to prove their masculinity and defend their territory against. Of course, it curtails their ability to reproduce. But neutering should have little effect on your cat's personality. As was said, if he is a couch potato, he won't change after neutering. If he's a wildman, neutering isn't a "cure". Neutering is good and necessary for pet cats (and dogs) in our world today. But don't expect to see a sea change in his personlity because of it.

Simon

Well I got fixed may 14, I am not any calmer at all, I'm just as hyper and busy as heck, and mom is wondering why I still have urge to go after Punkin like I'm still in heat.,all my other furbrothers are fixed for 2-3 years, they didnt get fat and lazy either, so for us, we didnt get like that at all, not one little bit

Simon answered on 7/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer