Kessie

Is it totally insane to introduce a kitten (or two...) to a house with senior cats?

I've heard that introductions do take time and should be done slowly. But the rest of my household tells me it will be miserable, cats will be urinating everywhere... Is this an overreaction? Or would it be hell to introduce a couple new family members?

The cats in questions are spayed females 13 and almost 12 years old. They have been together for 12 years in September. The two get along very well for the most part. They even eat from the same dishes when given the choice not to...

Asked by Kessie on May 19th 2012 Tagged adoption, kitten, seniorcats, introductions in Socialization

Best Answer

Ghost

All cats are different. Some may react in the manner you described, some won't bat an eye. Advice I've read from another answer here is start by bringing the kitten into the house. Set up a safe room with all her stuff, but closed off to the rest of the house. After a few days like this bring her into a commonly visited room by the mammy cats in a closed carrier. Depending on how this goes repeat a few times. If it is going well, open the carrier door and let them meet! Good luck!

Ghost answered on May 20th.

Answers

Zeke

I think you should introduce them very slowly. I got a young cat and introduced him quickly to my older cat and he was literally scared s_itless. He pooped all over the house. So introduce them slowly!!!

Zeke answered on 5/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Samson T. Hunter

If you already have two cats who get along fairly well, just keep it at that. Every household has a one-cat-too-many threshold. Introductions can be made, though, but they should be made slowly. The ideal situation is keeping the new kitten in a spare room and letting the resident cat smell the newcomer's scent outside the door. When that's okay, place the kitten in a puppy pen and let the resident into the room to get used to the newcomer without having the kitten in his face. Organize a time-share arrangement for the house so the kitten can explore a room without the cat. When all's well, feed the cats together in the same room - the cat at one end and the kitten at the other end. Continue this for several days, gradually moving the bowls closer to each other each day until they accept each other. If they get upset, stop progression for a while. Allow your kitten access outside as soon as possible, on a leash at first. But right now, just enjoy your time with your current girls.

Samson T. Hunter answered on 5/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer