jade

Is it safe for my cat to lick the bottom of our shower . She is 17 yrs old and very healthy. But she has a bad habit.

Asked by jade on Feb 7th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Off-hand, I would say not really. If she ingests soap, bath gel or anything else you use in there,including cleaning products which might contain bleach or gritty cleanser, it could cause diarrhea or stomach upset. If she is licking the shower pan for the water, you might want to invest in one of those cat fountains from Drinkwell or Petmate. The water is contantly moving and there is a post in the middle that the water runs down that she can lick to her heart's content while also getting her daily ration of water. I have a Drinkwell Platinum for my dogs that two of my cats use as well. The cats also have a Petmate one by their food that kind of looks like a "ski-slope" where the water runs down. I would seriously consider trying to break her of this habit, and if she develops any more strange behaviors, at least phone your vet. In people years, she is over 100 years old, and Senior cats do need monitoring from their vets, even when they are healthy.