Is it ok to let my cats outside? 2, one male, one female. They have their claws, are 2 yrs. old. She is a long hair.

Asked by Member 1201599 on Mar 31st 2014 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Mika

It's best for you to keep your cats indoors. There are many dangers outdoors for cats. Coyotes, birds of prey, foxes, and a number of other animals will eat cats. There are also many other dangers including poisons, dogs, cars, etc. The average lifespan of an indoor cat is 15 years. The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is only 3 years. Your cats will be much better off living a safe indoor life.

Mika answered on 3/31/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you want to let them outside, do it in an enclosed patio area where they are supervised. That way, there is no danger of them running off and being hit by a car or catnapped. All of my cats are leash-trained, but you have to start at age six months or they will fight the puppy harness. If your cats get spooked, they can run away, and if they don't have the proper collar, id and county rabies tags, you may never see them again since their wild instincts are gone. ^_^

~Caspurr SnowBerry~ missing an

I think most cats would like to be allowed outdoors.
It is best to keep them indoors because they are safer and their lifespan is increased by doing so.
I have a cat that I allow out because he is claustrophobic and doesn't tolerate being confined at all. He exhibits this by restless behavior, constant calling, and inappropriate elimination.
If you choose to let your cats out, please know that it is very hard to reorient them to staying inside if you decide the risks are too great outside.
Purrsonally I prefer my cats stay inside, but once in a while you get one that can't tolerate it. You then take the risk of losing that cat to outside dangers.
An outside enclosure is a great way to let them get their "wild on" and keeping them safe!
Best of luck!

~Caspurr SnowBerry~ missing an answered on 5/5/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer