Is it ok that two of my cats swallows some of cat toothpaste?

I use pet dental with fluoride toothpaste for cats and two of my cats nellie and alexis kind of eat some of it. They lick it off the toothbrush Is it ok if they do that cause of the fluroride in it? Also is there another way i can brush their teeth i have hard time getting them to accept a toothbrush for cats?

Asked by Member 979470 on May 11th 2010 in Dental Care

Answers

I'm not a vet, but I don't think that would hurt them. The only way they'd get sick is if they got the tube, chewed it open and ate the whole thing. When I brush my pet's teeth, I either used a piece of gauze rolled over my finger with the toothpaste on it or get one of those red finger caps with the brush on the tip and use that. My animals don't like the toothbrushes either and this is what my vet recommended to use.

Harvey

Well, this is a dumb answer (please confirm with your vet/cat dentist), but since cats, as far as I know, can't be taught to rinse and spit, some toothpaste is bound to get ingested. If it were dangerous (for example, if you used a human toothpaste), that would probably not be a good thing. The toothpaste I've used on my cats is mostly meant to get rid of bacteria (the rubbing with a Q-Tip, piece of gauze, or brush gets rid of the plaque); my cats use Biotene Oral Gel, which as far as I know doesn't contain fluoride. Have fun...

Harvey answered on 5/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rainey

Small amounts of pet toothpaste should be fine. Since it's formulate for pets teeth, it is expected that some of it will be ingested. Just use it sparingly, it's the brushing not the paste that cleans teeth.

I have to brush my cat's teeth and he like to lick it off of the brush, but the paste lacks fluoride. He hates the 3 way toothbrushes but tolerates a small standard brush. Also, there are some water additives (like Healthymouth) and dental treats (CET pet chews) that help supplement tooth brushing.

Rainey answered on 5/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer