Missy(never 'll forget you)

Is it OK for a cat to eat only dry food?

My cat is one year old. She used to eat wet and dry food until she is 8 months old and now she only depends on dry food

Asked by Missy(never 'll forget you) on Jul 10th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Princess

What a good question, the answer is YES! definitely! I work in a Pet store, and As mandatory I had to learn all the facts about the different brands of pet food. Varieties, types, nutrition etc! Your now adult cat, needs dry food to maintain healthy teeth. Contrary to popular belief, Dry food actually offers twice the nutrition of wet food. So for every half cup of dry food, you need a full cup of wet to equal the nutrients. Also the hard food contains more fiber for a more solid stool and less odorous. The real question is, which brand do you feed her? inexpensive brands contain mostly byproducts and meat "meals" The amount of an ingredient is listed in descending order, so if chicken by-product or beef meal is the first ingredient you may want to change brands. Still a soft can is okay on occasion though. My cat was on "meow mix" before i got her. I feed her Natural Balance and she's never had hairballs, her coat is amazing, and it contains all natural premium meats, like we eat :)

Princess "Floofy" answered on Jul 10th.

Answers

Wow, Missy is GORGEOUS! She looks like she should have a little pink purse and hair bows! As the other poster said, it's perfectly OK to feed her only dry food. My son's cat (Cole) hasn't had wet food for years and he's a lean, mean mouse-catching machine!

Cherry

De MOST important thing is dat Ur cat be eating a good quality food formulated to meet deir needs.As long as dey r feeding a good quality & nutritionally balanced food-then any food is okay-canned,dry or pouched.Dry Food- Pros - Nutritionally balanced if U feed a premium food, Less expensive,May help minimize tartar & Long shelf life.
Dry Food- Cons - Cats don't like it as much & If U leave a full bowl down-it is hard to determine if Ur cat is eating.
Pros for Canned or Pouch Food - Nutritionally balanced if U feed a premium brand food, Has more water content which is good for cats with urinary problems & Cats love it.Offering a small amount once a day can help U assess Ur cats' appetite.
Cons for Canned or Pouch Food - Cost,Limited shelf life once opened,No abrasive activity to minimize tartar & dey can become "fussy" if dis is all dey eat.
dese r de major pros & cons.I believe de best way to feed a cat is a combination of both dry & canned.Dry is calorie dense,wet has more water

Cherry answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oscar J. Cat actually prefers dry food. He'll sniff the wet stuff and nibble at it, but he's not a fan. He's very healthy and the vet says it will be so much better for his dental health long term.

Take a look at his profile. He's definitely not malnourished. MOL :)

Philbert

It's totally fine for your cat to just eat dry cat food. my older cat never had a drop of wet food in her life and is 18 and has never had any kind of problems associated with food, and has all her teeth.

And the dental cleaning part of dry food is a myth. This is an exerpt from www.api4animals.org

"Dental disease. Contrary to the myth propagated by pet food companies, dry food is not good for teeth.8 Given that the vast majority of pets eat dry food, yet the most common health problem in pets is dental disease, this should be obvious. Humans do not floss with crackers, and dry food does not clean the teeth."

There are teeth cleaning treats, but its the ingredients that help, not the crunchiness. My vet actually told me that a cat saliva controls tarter, which is produced more when eating wet food or drinking water.

There's so much great stuff out there, but find a flavor she loves and have at it!

Philbert answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer