Is it normal for my cat to stop breathing while its sleeping?

I woke up in the middle of the night with my cat sleeping next to me. I had my hand on on his back near his stomach and at one point I couldn't feel him breathing. Obviously I was extremely worried so I shook it awake. It took a couple shakes to get my cat to wake up to make sure he was still alive.

Is it normal for a cat to stop breathing or is this a form of sleep apnea in cats?

Asked by Member 1028867 on Sep 12th 2011 Tagged sleepapneaincats in Health & Wellness

Answers

Sleep apnea in animals is rare, but not unheard of. If your cat is groggy and seems disoriented when you wake him up, it could be a seizure disorder. If he's alert, it could be apnea. In any case, it's NOT normal. And, I don't think I would shake him to wake him up. My son did that over 20 years ago to our sleeping Golden Retriever and he still has the scars from where she sunk her teeth into his hand. If your cat hasn't been to his vet recently, I think I'd be tempted to take him. If there is a problem, you want to deal with it before it gets worse. If he doesn't have a vet. now might be a good time to find one.

More Questions in This Category