Is it normal for male NEUTERED cats to have "wet dreams"?

I have a male cat who seems to have wet dreams! He goes to sleep on the couch and starts thrusting a few minutes later. Once he even ejaculated. I got him from a shelter and they said he was already fixed. He also sprays on walls and furniture. I'm wondering if this is normal? Or if maybe the shelter said he's fixed when he's not? He's 2 years old.

Asked by Member 1139501 on Nov 6th 2012 Tagged male, spraying, neutered in Behavior & Training

Answers

OK. I'll tackle this one since no one else will. 8o) Your cat is showing pretty abnormal behavior for a neutered male cat. Male cats will mount another cat (male or female) to show dominance, but erections and ejaculations aren't normal in a neutered cat. If he doesn't have testicles, he was neutered, but my daughter's male cat still has what looks like testicles and I took him to the vet just to be sure. If your cat was neutered during a "mass altering" of cats, it's possible that it was not done correctly. Even neutered male cats spray for a variety of reasons, mostly territory defending. But the other symptoms are not typical and you really should take him back to the shelter and have him checked like we did with Boots. You need to know if he's sterile or not. If he can still make kittens and he gets out or goes outside, that's not a good thing. Let us know how it turns out--you've got me very curious!