Clarence

Is it normal for kittens to play in their litter boxes? Clarence likes to dig and roll in it. I don't want to scare him

Asked by Clarence on Dec 17th 2010 Tagged litterbox in Kittens

Answers

It is normal. Most of mine played in there when they were little and I agree that you never want to scold him because you don't want him to connect the litterbox with scolding. I would just discourage him from playing in there by showing him a toy and getting him to play with that instead of the litter when you catch him doing it. Shake a jingly toy or a crinkly ball to get his attention and distract him from digging and rolling in the potty.

Shadow Madison

I think Allie hit it right on. My kitten Shadow does the same thing, she makes a mess! But, I sort of think of it as her showing me that she knows what the litter box is for. But, I would definitely try what Allie suggested. :) And the kitten is adorable by the way. :) Congrats!

Shadow Madison answered on 12/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harley

Yes it;s like a sandbox to them.Most kittens I had stopped doing it by the time they were 3 months old.

Harley answered on 1/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chaserbugs

My darling kittens do indeed sometimes play in the litterbox. They do less and less as they get older. It just shows they are comfortable in their litterbox, which is good.

Chaserbugs answered on 5/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It's normal. Ruby, My four year old, will on occasion jump in and roll around in it. Thankfully, it happens only after I've cleaned it. We call it, "Ruby's day at the beach."

Yes, it is normal. However, there are some things to be concerned about.

If your kitty is playing in the litter often, there's a very good chance he or she might be eating it too. This is dangerous, ESPECIALLY if you use clumping and non-clumping clay litters, because it might block her intenstines which can lead to a quick and terribly painful death.

If you're concerned, ask your vet what other kind of litter would be safe. I hear newspaper (ink free, ideally)or newspaper-pellet litter is good.

Cheers!

Jazzmine

I JUST read this, where it was saying it was VERY normal for KITTENS (little kittens) to play in the litter box, so just keep it CLEANER than usual. Evidentely they DO outgrow it! Good luck, Sincerely, Delecia & Jazzmine

Jazzmine answered on 2/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer