Is it normal for an adult cat to throw up every day? (She doesn't throw up hairballs- she throws up food)

My cat is 6 years old and throws up every single day. We have tried switching foods and even mixing canned and dry food together- but nothing seems to work.

Asked by Member 549842 on Dec 23rd 2007 Tagged vomit in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Schmoo

A cat who vomits as frequently as yours does needs to be seen by a vet. It may be something as minor as your cat eating too fast, or it may be inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). But in either case, your cat needs nutrients, and how can she get any if she's throwing up her food? Your vet can tell you what is going on. Bring her to the vet for evaluation - cats who don't get enough nutrition can get a condition called fatty liver disease, and you can lose your cat very quickly. Good luck to your kitty and you!

Schmoo answered on 12/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Moxie

No - a couple of times per month due to hairballs can be normal but definitely NOT every day. You should definitely see a vet immediately. Not only does your cat feel bad but throwing up dehyrates and robs her body of nutrients. Frequently and suddenly changing foods may be making it worse.

Some things for you to think about that may help your vet diagnose the problem:
- When did this start? Was there a change at that time (e.g. you moved)? How long has this been going on?
- What is she throwing up? Is there liquid, how much, and what color is it?
- Is the food digested or still whole (e.g. kibble that still has its shape)?
- Do you see anything in the vomit (e.g. bits of plastic string or houseplant, etc)? Could she be eating something she shouldn't be. Some plants are poisonous and things like silica gel packets can cause vomitting.
- When does she throw up? Within an hour of eating? Only after morning meals?
Please see a vet for you kitty's sake. Good luck!

Moxie answered on 12/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

♥ Apache

Try process of elimnination. I learned this with one of my cats who also did a daily gift.

Remove all beef cat food first. Try fish, chicken and turkey. Give it a few days, and eliminate another type if it continues.

I was pretty surprised to find out that many cats cannot tolerate beef foods. My crew gets very little now, and the daily presents have stopped.

I've also found that my cats do well on 9-Lives new chicken chunks. Friskies gives me gifts. They also get a lot of Fancy Feast - and do great on the Roasted Varietys.

Wishing you luck in solving the mystery.

♥ Apache answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

bob

my cat bob, used to throw upseveral times a day and the vet couldn't figure out why. so i went through a ton of foods to see if it was a food allergy. i found out that it was food with grain in it that was causing the problem. there may be other grain-free foods to try, but the one that worked for me was INNOVA EVO. (now he only throws up a couple times a month.) www.evopet.com good luck! i know this is a frustrating and worrisome problem.

bob answered on 12/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oberon

No, but it's not uncommon for cats on a standard commercial cat food diet to develop food sensitivities and vomit regularly. I had a 14 year old domestic shorthair who vomited daily until my cat sitter suggested a "human grade" pet food diet. Soon after switching to a human grade food (Wellness and Prairie Nature's variety) Miro's vomiting ended, and he became sleeker, more energetic and his coat much glossier. Human grade (USDA) food is different than "Natural" or "Premium" (terms that really mean nothing these days). To learn more on this subject visit: www.api4animals.org

Best of luck!

Oberon answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sissy

Our youngest kitty used to throw up every day. She would eat, throw up, and then go eat again. I think it was because she was eating too fast (she has two big brothers). However, we changed the food to a sensitive stomach food and she rarely throws up now.

Sissy answered on 1/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer