Is it normal for a cat eat slugs.

Asked by Member 735947 on Sep 13th 2008 in Breeds

Answers

Jester (1988-2007)

Bugs are part of their normal diet in the wild so its normal. Jester was a great mouser when she was young and she started out her hunting career by digging up earthworms.

If he eats lots of slugs/snails watch out to make sure he doesn't develop any asthma/wheezing. Cats can pick up some kind of parasite/worm that affects the lungs from slugs and snails so if you see anything like that take him into the vet for a check up ASAP.

Jester (1988-2007) answered on 9/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I read that if cats eat slugs, they can get something called "lungworms" because slugs eat the feces of infected rodents and reptiles. I wouldn't encourage your cat to eat these things. Also, if the slugs come from a neighbor's yard who uses slug poison, he could also ingest that. Having said that, the late, great Ernie once dismantled and ate a live ciccada in front of me, and he was fine.

dogs get lungworm but I understand that for some reason cats are not affected by this. So apart from being sick I think your cat should be OK, i hope so cos' mines just sicked up a 3" monster