Is it necessay to trim the hair growth between paw pads on my indoor (only)cat?

Asked by Member 664497 on Jul 31st 2008 in Home Grooming

Answers

Hunter

No, do not trim the hair.

Hunter answered on 7/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

My Siberian has a lot of hair between her toes that cause her to slip and slide. My home has hardwood flooring and tile, so I do trim the hair between her toes to help her get better traction. I see no problem trimming the fur between a cat's toes if it's needed. I know my Lily appreciates it.

Bella (In Loving Memory)

If you're comfortable trimming the cat's hair do so ONLY if you have scissors with guards on them or trust me, eventually you WILL cut a toe. Its not pretty and it can be costly if it has to be sutured. The hair growth will not hinder her/him in any way.

I too have hardwoods and Bella slips and slides so much that trimming her slippers, as I call it, is part of our weekly grooming but I am 100% comfortable grooming her, I use clippers with a guard on them and she doesn't move around at all.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If it's so long that she does slip and slide or step on it when she's walking, then I would HAVE it trimmed by a professional. Many groomers have individual listing for their services list "just" claws, "just" a bath, etc. with individual prices. I didn't do this for Delilah until one day she stepped on gum that missed the trash can. What a mess.