Is it necessary to bring kitten to vet after adoption?

I've adopted two kittens at my local SPCA (Montreal) and am a first time pet owner. I'm excited but am wondering if I should bring my two kittens to the vet for checkup before taking them home? Or is it not necessary? They are 5 months and 8 months old and do have basic vaccinations (not including rabies, FIV, feline leukaemia).

Asked by Member 1195946 on Oct 24th 2013 Tagged adoption, kitten, vet, checkup, vaccinations in Health & Wellness

Answers

I always bring mine to my vet after a rescue. My vet, and many in the U.S., do not charge for a check-up following an adoption from a non-profit rescue. Unfortunately, some animals are still sick after being adopted, and your vet can alert you so that you can go back to the rescue and get free medicine instead of having to buy it later. Keep their kitty teeth cleaner with Greenies dental chews, now available in catnip flavor! ^_^