Is it bad for an old cat to get pregnant? Will her kittens survive?

I am a first class cat lover. I have 19 cats! I have a LaPerm, a Siberian, a Burmese, a Devon Rex, 3 Moggies, 4 Korat cats, 5 Havana Brown cats and 8 Snowshoe cats. I used to live in a very large apartment in San Francisco, where I'm from, but recently I moved to a large house in Santa Barbara. My cats were all used to apartment living so I closed all the doors of the house so they wouldn't run away and forget the way back. But this one day, one of my oldest cats, a 13 year old Siberian called Missy, a 5 year old Devon Rex called Dino and my 8 year old LaPerm called Marylin ran away due to an open door. Dino and Mary (Marylin's nickname) came back after some hours but Missy didn't. I put posters all around the town but nobody called back. Then, 13 days later, in the supermarket parking lot, I found her together with some other street cats. She was so filthy and full of fleas! So I took her to the vet. There, they told me she was pregnant! So what do I do? Sincerely, Jacqueline Taylor

Asked by Member 1039674 on Jul 4th 2011 Tagged old, cat, pregnant, kittens, survive in Health & Safety

Answers

Hannah

Well, fortunately Siberians aren't a very thin and fragile breed, but you have no idea how big the males she mated with are and 13 is quite old for a kitty to still be getting pregnant. You really have to judge how healthy she is, and how far along in the pregnancy she is. If she's only a few weeks pregnant a spay abort would probably be safer for her and better for you and your already very large cat family. But if she's 7 or 8 weeks in a spay-abort now could be just as hard as labor and delivery if the labor went smoothly and she didn't need a C-section. It's really something you should discuss with your vet. They will have a better idea of how hardy Missy is for her age and what the prognosis for your different options are as far as how far along she is is concerned. Ask them honestly, if this was their beloved pet and they had 18 other cats to pay attention to and provide for back at home and with thousands of cats still being euthanized in shelters, what would they do?

Hannah answered on 7/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you were a "first class cat lover" then your pets would have been spayed or neutered years ago for their own health and well being and your poor cat Missy would not be in the predicament she is in now. I can not imagine how she did not manage to become pregnant before now if you have males too. Having 19 cats (regardless of the breeds) does not provide bragging rights if they are not properly cared for. Your vet should have advised you to spay/abort this litter for Missy's safety.

As a former animal welfare/rescue worker, I cannot in good conscience agree with you that you are a "1st Class Cat Lover". Quantity does not necessarily indicate quality. Unless you are a registered breeder and own a cattery where your cats would be separately housed and cared for by a staff of animal technicians with a vet on call 24/7, you are simply a hoarder. I'm glad that you took her to the vet when you found her, but your vet should have recommended an immediate abortion. A cat this old has no business having a litter. Your vet should have told you this unless they did and you refused to let them go ahead with the abortion. Not only does she run the risk of a difficult pregnancy and birth, but there is no doubt this will also impact her health and the health of her kittens. Your cat's age is equal to 72 people years. Could you successfully have/raise baby at the age of 72? Would you WANT to? Go back to the vet and ask for them to abort the kittens.

do not spy this cat for then you put your cats
life in danger i am sure she will take good care of the kittens just feed her a lot (: