Is feeding a cat only lean meats healthy? I'm on limited income but want to do my best with her. Any suggestions?

I am on a limited income but I still want to do right by my animals. I've been reading that raw diet is best for cats and dogs and I myself tend to eat mostly lean meats, veggies and fruits so it's already on my shopping list. Is it healthy to feed my cat lean meats only? If needed, what kind, and what are the cost of any supplements?

thanks!

Asked by Member 1034234 on May 18th 2011 Tagged happyhealthykittyonlimitedfoodbudget in Homemade Food

Answers

Raw diet being "best" for an animal is a matter of opinion and my vets and I do not agree with that opinion. However, there is a category for raw feeders in the Catster forums where you will find a lot of helpful information and people who can advise you on how to do it right. I believe that you have to join Catster and create a profile to participate in the forums but it is free for a basic membership.

This is just my opinion. Our Catsters have definite ideas on what is best to feed our little buddies for optimal health. But, to achieve that optimal health, I'd like to suggest that before you purchase an expensive cat food and supplements, you set aside some funds for vet care. It is difficult to monitor and maintain a cat's health w/o regular vet care. Cats need to be altered, up-to-date on vaccines and have regular vet exams to make sure nothing is "brewing". At the regular exam, you can ask your vet what they feel is the best thing to feed your cat based on age, activity level and any issues they may have such as sensitive skin, stomach, weight, etc. Vets are not only there for exams and medical emergencies. They are well-read on nutrition for our pets as well. As I wrote, this is just my opinion to be taken or left as you and other Catsters see fit.

Belle

I would recommend cooking the raw meat first, as raw meat can contain harmful bacteria that can make your pet sick, just as eating raw meat can make humans sick. You may want to discuss with your veterinarian the best kind of diet for your cats. As cats are obligate carnivores, they do not need a balanced diet with vegetables, etc like we do. However, you might want to check with your vet about the best kinds of meat, whether a lean meat is better than a meat with more fat, etc.

Belle answered on 5/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

try high quality cat foods such as Science Diet. Cats love the taste and digest almost all of it leaving dry stools that demonstrate the high digestabiliy which is less taxing on Kitty's. Digestrive tract, because they absorbe the food not just pass it on. You will also notice the little box has almost no smell and is easier to clean. Its almost impossible to duplicate a cats natural diet no matter what you are willing to do or spend.. Even if you do a good diet has been proven to extend their life's and make their day to care easier, more reliable just makes better since. Besides feed science diet, not cheap cat food which is full of ash and fillers, you'll have time to spend with Kitty and more money for cat toys lol

Grim

If you have a grocery outlet near by they are great for a tight budget. I get my boys a whole chicken for around five dollars. I recommend cooking. I boil the chicken and innards until done then shred the meat, remove the bones, toss some grated veggies in and walla cat food. They also get a grain free cat kibble on the side. This has worked well for my boys.

Grim answered on 11/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer