Is declawing bad for cats?

Does declawing casue severe injury? After listening to this I am not sure: www.blogtalkradio.com

Asked by Member 1157390 on Sep 28th 2013 Tagged declawingcats, pawproject in Health & Wellness

Answers

Rhea

declawing a cat takes a cats ability to defend itself away. It doesn't harm them unless the procedure is done wrong. I highly disagree with declawing any cat period. It is cruel. I advise you not to get your cat declawed. Its like not bringing a weapon to a gun fight for a cat if it has to defend itself.

Rhea answered on 9/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nicholas

Declawing is not only inhumane but can be very painful for the cat; it takes away their defenses and can cause them to be unstable with walking and balance. In the procedure itself, they actually break off their first metacarples (bone) to remove the claw. There is really no reason to declaw a cat. If you take the time to teach them to use a scratch post, and or provide sisal you will have no problems. In bringing my cats home for the first time I provided plenty of scratch posts and using catnip, I taught them where to scratch. If they go for the furniture, gentle take them to the scratch post and show them where to scratch. It will only take a few times and they will get it. Also invest in a post that is tall enough for a grown cat-most are too short. Be gentle but firm and be consistant. Don't give up after the first few tries. If a declawed cat gets outside, they can't defend themselves or get up a tree if they need to get away from a predator. Good Luck with your decision!

Nicholas answered on 9/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Does it cause SEVERE injury? No, probably not if the owner follows the vet's instruction post-procedure. However, if you've ever seen this procedure, you'll never forget it and you'll never have it done to YOUR cat. Declawed cats should NEVER be let out. If you have a cat who bolt outside, DON'T get it declawed. When I worked in animal rescue, we didn't adopt to people who said they'd declaw. But, I know of one cat we adopted out who WAS declawed and honestly, he lives the Life of Riley. He's healthy mentally and physically. He's the supreme ruler of the household. I've also known of people who dumped their cats because the cats ruined their furniture. I wondered if the cats had been declawed if they'd been allowed to stay instead of being hit by cars, died in fights, contracted diseases outside, everything that DID happen to these dumped cats. Would I declaw? No. My cats are more important than some silly chair.

Declawing is a very painful surgery. It would be similar to us having our fingers amputated at the first knuckle. Declawing is pretty much an American thing. It's illegal in most of Europe and Australia. You cannot show a declawed cat as CFA and ACFA believe it is cruel. An improperly done declaw surgery can cause the cat a lot of complications and pain. Declawed cats are more likely to have behavior problems such as litter box issues (due to sore paws) and biting (as the cats first line of defense is gone). Please research this carefully. There are many good alternatives to declawing such as keeping the claws trimmed, providing scratchers and training the cat to use them, and Soft Paws nail caps.

Yes, If you don't follow the instruction of vet. But it is very painful for the cats.