Is candy - hard candy to be more specific - bad for cats?

My cats like to lick at the candy that my little sister has left out. Of course if I see them doing so, I take it away. I just wanted to know if they can have a sweet-tooth for candy, and if it is bad for them.

Asked by Member 1069644 on Nov 9th 2011 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

It depends on what is in the candy. If it has artificial sweetener like aspartame then it is very bad, even deadly. If it's just sugar or corn syrup, it's not terribly harmful but you should continue to take it away and ask your little sister to be more careful about leaving it out like that. Cats like many different things like candy or will often taste things we never even thought about. It's our job to be sure there are no harmful plants, candy, foods, or even things like elastic bands left lying around to tempt them.

Tell your little sis that if she keeps leaving candy out and the cat gets into it, you'll have to throw all of it away because it's got cat spit on it now. If she faces losing the candy permanently, she might be better about keeping it hidden from the cat.