Mass

Is a cat that's over ten too old to be neutered?

Some people are trying to talk me into having my cat neutered but I think he's too old for that, almost 11. He was already 3 when I got him and believed to be female. He's been on the pill. He goes out and fights with other cats and got his ear deformed, but I don't think he suffers from it.
A friend of mine says a cat that was neutered at 13 kept fighting with other cats but was slower to defend himself and got bullied by the other cats. It died within two years.
My dad said a vet told him my cat is too old to be neutered, but didn't say why.
My boss says it's animal cruelty to have an unneutered cat and thinks it's rediculous that it would be bullied by other cats.
I think that a cat should be neutered when it's young or not at all, but I didn't have him when he was young.

Asked by Mass on Mar 28th 2008 Tagged neuter, senior in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22)

As long as your cat is healthy, 11 years old is not too old to be neutered. Pre-surgical bloodwork will screen for any potential problems. This should reduce his urges to roam, mate, fight, and spray and he will be happier and live longer. I would also suggest keeping him indoors if possible. Please have your cat neutered.

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22) answered on 3/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Hunter

It's never too late to neuter a cat. You should have some pre-anesthetic bloodwork performed and inf that is normal, he should handle the anesthesia just fine.

Neutering has many health benefits...eliminates testicular cancer, greatly reducing chances for prostate cancer, keeps males from roaming and impregnating other cats, keeps males form getting into fights with other males, risk for communicable diseases decreases (due to less or no fighting with other cats...the list goes on.

IF you are letting your unneutered male go outside you are contributing to the problem of cat overpopulation. Your male has undoubtedly impregnated many female cats, thus added countless numbers of unwanted kittens into this world. This should be reason enough to neuter. If you decide not to neuter your cat then you absolutely MUST keep him indoors.

Hunter answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Your question is a study in misinformation, and it would be a good idea for you to go to kill shelter and watch them euthanize unwanted kittens. They'll even let you hold them while their little hearts stop beating. If your friend's 13 yr. old. cat was bullied, it was the cat's personality and it had nothing to do with neutering. It might also have been sick. A vet would not recommend against neutering and 11 is not too old. The vet knows he has to do pre-operative testing on any animal at any age.Stay away from that vet. Your boss is right about having an unneutered animal, cat OR dog. Two cats who mate and all their children can produce over 400,000 unwanted kittens in 7 years. Could you find homes for all those kittens?

Reggie

If your boy is healthy there isn`t any reason not to neuter him. Just make sure your vet does a thorough exam, and labs before hand. There are less health risks involved in the neuter than there is with the pill. As a rescuer and ex breeder I have had older tom cats than your`s neutered and they were fine. It`s most likely that your friend`s 13 year old tom cat was slower to defend himself and was bullied because he was 13 years old. The cats doing the bullying were probably young toms in their prime and would have beat him up regardles. It`s not nice to beat up on Grampas but cats don`t care. Another big plus of neutering, is that as the testosterone decreasess in their system their urine doesn`t reek as much. Tom cats stink, they can`t help it. After neutering he probably won`t want to go looking for fights and women. Wouldn`t it be nice NOT to be the owner of one of the cats who are under your window screaming at each other at 3 a.m.? Your neighbors will think so.

Reggie answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer