Introduction help?!

I have a 2 year old male maine coon tuxedo I adopted from the shelter about a month ago and I decided to get another one.

I am currently trying to do the seperation process that I read online but I live in a one bed room apartment so I don't have the room to separate them apart far.

The problem is; I can't get through the house because these two are always at the door! And yesterday when my brother accidentally opened the door, they jumped on each other and started fighting. It's only day two and this is really stressful for me because I can't move around easily. Is there another way? Or do I have to return the new kitty?

Asked by Member 1214554 on Apr 16th 2014 Tagged introduction, cat, cats, mainecoon in Aggression

Answers

It is better to adopt cats of the opposite gender to avoid same sex dominance issues. You should have thought this through before you brought another animal home, because you seem really quick to be thinking about giving him back after only TWO DAYS!! It will be psychologically damaging for the 2nd cat to bring him back to the shelter. You should have had him in the bathroom so that the existing cat could have sniffed him out, and then provided separate visitation until you know that they were going to get along. You also need two of every thing, such as cat condos, bowls and litter boxes. If they fight, pour a glass of water over their heads. When you are not home, keep the first cat in your bedroom and the new one in the living room. Also, Maine Coons do not come in tuxedo, so what you are talking about is a medium hair black and white cat. Finally, you cannot make two animals get along, especially when confined to a small space. What if one of the cats starts spraying next?

Marlin Purrkins

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the person who posted the first answer - Maine Coons CAN be tuxedo in coloration - it is called black with white.
I think you should give them a bit more time, introductions and acceptance can take a while, keep them separated the best you can and maybe try feeding closer and closer as they will tolerate with a closed door in-between.
As far as getting through the house, you need to alert the cat whose territory you are entering and make it clear that the cat needs to remain in that area. Maybe use a squirt bottle with water or make a noise that means business.
Maybe put a sign on the door to remind your family to be careful when they open the door?
Neutered males can and will get along with each other. Just give it some time, if you can.
Maine Coons are usually pretty laid back. Two days isn't enough time to really evaluate how they will and can get along.
Good luck and purrs!

Marlin Purrkins answered on 5/5/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer