introducing new cats, new cat still hissing at the other after a year.

I took my daughter's cat in when she went overseas and have a cat of my own, I did everything the books said to do and have slowly introduce them, but the new cat still hisses at my cat, they are both female, older house cats and spayed.

Asked by Member 1141676 on Nov 21st 2012 in Socialization

Answers

KIKI

My 2 kitties are brother and sister, lived with each other their whole lives, but the female (kiki) still hisses at her brother Winter! Not sure why....she doesn't always but when he tries to play with her she hisses....not sure how i could help you, you seem like your doing all the right things.....hopefully with more time they will get used to each other. The new cat could be feeling out of place and out of sorts, do all you can to make him feel like it is his home to....Good Luck!

KIKI answered on 11/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Batfink

Sometimes the sad truth is that some cats do not like eachother, the same way we do not like everyone of our own species,and most of the time you are lucky when they do get on well and groom eachother, usually it is the case that cats live together and just kind of ''tolerate'' eachother.Your daughters kitty has been through a massive change and will still be adjusting now, So i wouldnt be worried that they do not get on like a house on fire, the fact that they are not ripping shreds out of eachother would be comfort enough, hissing can sometimes be defensive rather than aggressive so if you notice that your new cat hisses at resident it may be an idea to have her checked out at the vets as she may be hiding a pain and hissing on the defensive to hide her weakness,cats hate to appear weak , its instinctual, more than likely that shes just vocal about her desire not to be friends with resident kitty though but best to be 100% Hope all is well

Batfink answered on 11/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer