Introducing a new kitten to my current cat. Current cat is trying to get into the room w/new kitten. Good or bad sign?

My 2 1/2 year old cat has to spend a lot of time home alone when my fiance and I have to work. We were worried about her being lonely so we decided to get a new kitten. Our first cat doesn't like this at all. She hissed when she first met the kitten, but now she is pawing at the door to the room with the kitten. I don't know if it is a plea for another meeting or a way to chase off the newcomer. Usually, she just stays in the room I am in, but she is somewhat ignoring me in attempts to get into the other room. It is a room she is usually allowed in, but she doesn't usually care unless I am in there.

Asked by Member 1074180 on Nov 30th 2011 Tagged new, kitten, current, cat, introduction, hissing in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

For the most part, when a kitten is introduced to an older cat, the OC takes it upon herself to educate the youngster on the rules of the house. That usually means that everything within the OC's sight belongs to her and not the newbie. There is hissing, maybe growling and swatting. The newbie might hide and sometimes, in Izzie's case, the OC hides from the newbie. It's a good sign that your OC is trying to meet the newbie, but if her intentions are less than friendly, you MUST supervise the visits and not leave the newbie out and about with the OC while you are away until you can 100% trust them together. With Lizzie and Iz, it took about 2 months until Izzie would tolerate Lizzie jumping over his back and crash-landing on his head. Chasing and playing usually follows, but it did take a while for the friendship to form. Love at first sight seldom happens in the Cat World and this is why you must supervise the introductions.

Runtie

You need to read your cats body language towards the kitten when trying to get into the room. If ears are up, tail up (or curled into a question mark shape) and she seems more curious than aggressive its a great sign! Most older cats will avoid a new-comer and the space it lives in. Our 4 year old male was very stand-offish towards our surprise litter of 6 kittens and would not even come into my room (where he used to sleep every night) because it smelt like them. After a week or so however he lets them pounce on his tail and he gently plays with them.

It is normal for a cat to be stand-offish at first but it is really important to allow them to meet (under strict supervision of course) especially if your cat seems interested in the little one. If your cat starts playing with the kitten (even if it seems a little rouch) try not to intervene unless the kitten gives a high-pitched squeek. This is a signal that the playing is no longer fun-and-games and instead is a distress call.

Runtie answered on 1/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer