Introducing a new cat

I have a young female cat who is a year and a half old, my sister had one female from the same litter so they are siblings of the same age. My sister is giving up her cat and I am having her.
Do sibling cats remember each other at all and would they get along easier because they are siblings?
When I first had my kitten after 2 months I went on holiday for 2 weeks and because she was young she stayed with my sister and my sisters kitten and they got along really well.
I am just worried now my cat might not like her and be unhappy.
I've read really bizarre integration methods, but I don't have the space or the time to keep them separate for months etc also I think its unfair.
Any tips or anyone had a similar situatuons?
Thank you

Asked by Member 1140462 on Nov 13th 2012 in Socialization

Answers

Phoebe

Unfortunately separation is really the safest way to integrate a new cat into a home with an existing cat. Siblings or not cats are territorial and cats that once got along won't necessarily get along forever. If you are adding this cat to your household the best thing to do is separate them and introduce them slowly - it is what is fair to the cats and will most likely have the best outcome for all. Good luck.

Phoebe answered on 11/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer