I'm trying to integrate a newly adopted cat with seeration anxiety into a home with a resident cat.

I recently adopted a cat, who has seperation anxiety and will cry as soon as he leaves my room and I am not there. I've been spending more time with him because of this, but I am also trying to spend some time with the resident cat in order to integrate the two cats. Everytime my new cat cries while he is wandering the house, I run to him to make sure he is okay. I asked my roommate if her cat could be in a room for a few days while getting used to my cat's scent, but she is adamant her cat cannot be in a room, and I should just let them work out their differences. They have had some face to face meetings, but the resident cat hisses and bats her paws at the new cat. I am thinking about moving to a new place where my cat can be an only cat, or to a place where there are already two cats that get along fine together. I adopted my cat just over a week ago. There are also children in this house that my new cat seems to be afraid of.

Asked by Member 994767 on Jul 1st 2010 Tagged seperationanxiety, socialization, children, integratingcats, moving in Socialization

Answers

Your new baby has a LOT going on! Your roommate doesn't seem to want your cat around her's. Her cat doesn't like your's. There are kids around who may be scaring the cat intentionally or not. Putting both cats in a room together will not work and will probably cause them to fight.Your roomate needs to be on-board with helping your cat fit in. Both cats should be "fixed." Keep your's separated from her's in a room with box, food/water. Spend as much time as you can with him. He needs socialization. After he seems settled, slowly introduce him to roomie's cat. If you bring your cat into a new place where there are already 2 cats, your cat will STILL have to fit in. The children MUST be supervised when around the cat. It's up to you to keep him safe. By keeping him in a room and gradually introducing him to the household, you are slowly increasing the size of his "world". Right now he feels lost and overwhelmed. Be patient, protective and loving and you'll have a friend for for life!