Minger

I'm trying find someone who loves&knows Cornish Rex cats. I just adopted a 10yr old and know nothing about the breed.

We have been taking care of a Cornish Rex that the owner signed over to us about two months ago (as an alternative to euthanasia). Unfortunately this cat (with whom I fell in instant love) has skin issues, as well as eye and nose discharge that has me stumped. I don't want to go in to the lengthy details about her treatment or anything. Just really looking for someone who knows the breed (before now I had never even seen a Cornish Rex) and might want to chat with me about this amazing and loving cat.

Asked by Minger on Nov 18th 2011 Tagged cornishrex, allergies, skin, skinissues, cornishlovers, food, toys, adoption in Allergies

Answers

I don't think that the health issues you're describing are indicative of the breed. I'm assuming you're on board with a vet, and you can always talk to the vet about this. In answer to your question, try googling "Cornish Rex" rescue groups. These groups are very knowledgeable about the breed and would be more than happy to assist you in learning about the breed. You can also visit www.cafainc.org, the Cat Fancier website for information on the breed.

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy

Try asking in the forum under breed specific - perhaps a Cornish Rex owner can help you there?
Good luck!

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy answered on 11/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I Have a Cornish Rex and he has occasionally suffered from seasonal allergies. Go to a good cat vet. Usually eye drops help. Put small amounts of neosporim under eyes to prevent sticking. See vet. These cats are naturally Hardy. But they need to stay indoors no matter what. They need body warmth. They are not a breed. They are an abnormality. Their body temp is 3 degrees higher than humans and other felines. They Have an arched back, egg shaped head andlong legs with cute little feet. Powerful hind legs. In Cornwall England there was one cat born like this in a litter of ordinarily barn cats. So you got a Rex. There's Rex rabbits and other species with the same trait. Curly hair. Curved back. Thank God for diversity