I'm thinking of rescuing a male cat from the shelter, but our Grandmother believes the cat here now will spray.

Our Grandma has the notion that if the only other cat in the house 'Duchess' even gets a whiff of a new cat-she'll start urinating all around the house. I don't want to upset her, and I understand her views. Duchess is all in all a really nice cat. she smelled the little dog brought over recently, and didn't bat an eye. The only interaction between Duchess and the potential addition is smells through the space between the door. I have done my research and found the best match for someone who already has a female cat is to get a male. As stated above, my living quarters are seperate from the top floor. *basement apartment, in a sense* She will not have any responsibility for him, my roommate and I understand the costs, but What can I say that might put her at ease if I adopted somebody?

Asked by Member 1143329 on Dec 2nd 2012 Tagged cat, male, seperation, introduction, female, urinate, adoption, help in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

There is no guarantee that or way to predict if Duchess will not start marking. Even altered cats will mark. However, there is also no guarantee that Duchess WILL start spraying, either. I've not heard a hard and fast rule that if you have a female and want to add another cat, get a male. I have 2 girls and 1 boy and everything including most interactions with my 2 dogs, is harmonious. It's more the personality of the cats than their sex. Even if there is no visual, Duchess wil still sense the presence of the other cat. About all you can do, if your Grandma gives her permission for you to rescue this guy, is to guarantee her you will pay for any damages or professional clean-ups that need to happen if Duchess does spray.

Jake ♥s Taffy

If Grandma's cat isn't neutered, that is possible. But if she is, then it extremely unlikely. With dozens of adoptions and fostering under my belt I have NEVER had a cat spray or urinate because of a new cat. The only spraying I've had in the last 40 years was young feral who stopped the moment he was neutered.

Your grandmother might have grown up and had cats in an earlier era when we didn't spay and neuter as conscientiously as we do (or should do) now and had experience with cats spraying because of that.

Also, it might be that this is a ruse your grandmother is putting up for some reason. In other words, she might have some fears she is hiding behind her cat, and those are important to find out.

Good luck!

Jake ♥s Taffy answered on 12/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer