Queenie

I'm interested in finding some really good cat charities. Are there any that you would recommend?

While I would love to support our local shelter, they are not a "no-kill" facility.

Asked by Queenie on Nov 5th 2011 Tagged catcharity, charities in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Socks

I'm sure there are some privatley owned shelters by your home who would really appreciate a donation, but I would still recommend donating to your local animal shelter. Even though they are not a no kill shelter I have worked with animal shelters for fostering and I know that everyone that works there loves animals and tries their best. I also know that most animal shelters are getting budget cuts and desperatly need the money. Any donations will go to help the cats and your money will not be wasted. I hope you find someplace good to donate. Good luck and thanks for helping them out.

Socks answered on 11/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Teya

You should try volunteering at your local shelter to find out what they are like. Even though they are not no kill they may be doing a lot of good work.

You can also search for smaller rescue groups in your area.

Generally supporting your local rescues is a better idea. They usually don't get a lot of funding so your time anx donations will make a big difference. And it is easy to check them out in person to make sure they are doing good work and not spending money just on fundraising and fancy web sites.

I volunteer and donate to a small local cat rescue, a couple of local SPCA's and Best Friends which is a big no kill sanctuary in Utah. I've visited them to volunteer and know the stuff on their website is real.

Watch out for the ASPCA and American Humane Society. They are not doing anything bad but most people assume money you give to them trickles down to local SPCA's and Humane Societies but their doesn't and they are completely separate organizations.

Teya answered on 11/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Runtie

I don't know how you feel about international charities but I'm from Cape Town, South Africa and due to some of the extreme poverty in urban areas there are very many animals in need of rescue, food, vacination and spading/neutering in the townships.

DARG and PETS are two local pro-life, pro-active non-profit organisations that go into the townships and offer free spading/neutering, flea-dips, vacination aswell as rescuing mistreated, neglected, malnourished animals living under terrible circumstance.

Here are their websites
www.darg.org.za
www.pets.org.za

Runtie answered on 1/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer