Samson

I'm going out of town, what to do with my cats?

As a kid we always had cats, and when we left town my parents would just leave large amounts of food and water and litter. Even if we were gone for a couple weeks!
Well, I'm kind of going out of town (just like 45 min-1hr away) for 3 days and 2 nights to help my grandma because her husband went away for a while and she's alone and scared. Will they be ok with food and water and a bunch of clean litter? I love them so much and am worried that something might happen! Help!

Asked by Samson on Sep 27th 2013 Tagged travel, away in Travel & Recreation

Answers

There are better ways to take care of your snimals. The first is to board them at your vet, the second is to find a local pet hotel where they can all stay together, and the third is to hire a licensed, bonded and insured pet sitter (certified through Pet Sitters International). There are pros and cons to each, but do your research and figure out the best option for your cats. Leaving them alone is NOT beneficial to either party (what if they knock over the water bowls?) ^_^

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy

Do you have a neighbor or a friend that you could ask to look after the cats? Just a quick visit each day that you are gone would be better than leaving them completely alone for 3 days!

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy answered on 9/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nicholas

The thing about cats is, they really don't like to go somewhere else. I have had friends board their cats and it traumatized them severly. I would recommend having a friend come in daily to spend some time with them, play with them and check their food and water. Leave the radio and some lights on. If a friend could stay at your place that would be great but usually not possible. The cats would do best if they knew the person coming in. Good luck!

Nicholas answered on 9/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I have done this for our cats. Three days and two nights is very do-able. You may even want to leave a toilet seat up just in case (so they have water). We've only done this once (pretty much home bodies), but it worked out fine. You don't say how many cats; we have two. Just be prepared for the "cold shoulder" when you arrive home. No greeting at the door. Our two looked at each other as they sat together on a sofa, looked at us like they were pissed!! Didn't talk to us for hours; we were in the proverbial Dog House! Left out plenty of water, food, toys, etc. Left a light on the entire time, radio, even called in over the answering machine to let them know we really missed them. Good luck!!