I'm feeding a stray cat (I think) and lately she has taken to swat my hand as I place a bowl of food before her.

I'm not able to keep up with feeding her as she comes 4 or so times a day. I think she had kittens awhile ago, so I know she needs extra food to produce milk. I don't know if she is still nursing and ravenous...we feed her more than my houseful of three eat in two or so days. I would like to adopt her into my house and don't know what to do, I wonder about the safety of her kittens.

Asked by Member 928850 on Jun 14th 2010 Tagged stray, swatting in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Tondo

She probably needs worming. Worms will eat all her food and make her hungry. The hunger might explain the swatting. If she has kittens, she will be even more hungry.

Tondo answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I feed a feral cat colony which I manage and have one that also swats my hand. She does it very gently. I put my hand out and she pats it now. I think it is her way of saying "thank you". However, this is a cat that I have been feeding for almost three (3) years. I've had her spayed and vaccinated for rabies. I wouldn't recommend getting too close to this stray/feral cat until you get her and have her fixed and vaccinated. Also, be careful if you do bring her into your home around your other animals (cats ?). She will need to be tested for FIV and feline leukemia. I would get her fixed ASAP. If she had kittens recently, the vet will tell you. Best of luck with the kitty. Thanks for caring enough about her to feed her.

You are a good person for caring about this cat. However, when I did animal rescue volunteering, we had a saying, "You feed, you breed." If you don't manage to trap this cat and her kittens and have them spayed/neutered, you will soon have many more strays on your hands. Your feed bills will be through the roof. You can contact your local animal control officer (through your police department) and ask for a trap. Once you trap the mother, the kittens will probably come out looking for her. This is what happened with my Izzie. If you DO bring her in, as was said, she must be thoroughly vetted to be cleared of any of those nasty cat diseases. You might also be responsible for finding the kittens good homes. I would contact a local shelter or rescue for help with this situation. Good luck!