Guest

If my kitty, Tucker, chews on our real christmas tree or drinks the water will it hurt her?

My cat, Tucker, is 1 and a half and loves to play and chew things no matter what they are. We just put are live christmas tree up and im nervous that she will eat it. If she does will it hurt her more than a tummy ache? please i need answers!!!


Asked by Member 926607 on Dec 2nd 2009 in Swallowing Foreign Objects
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Chibi

Christmas trees are considered to be mildly toxic. The fir tree oils can irritating to the mouth and stomach, causing excessive drooling or vomiting. The tree needles are not easily digested either; possibly causing GI irritation, vomiting, GI obstruction or puncture. Artificial treesare also dangerous when eaten. If your pet has chewed on the Christmas tree or other plants, monitor for any changes of behavior (excessive licking, salivating), appetite, activity, water consumption, vomiting and diarrhea. Tree water can contain substances such as preservatives that can be harmful or even deadly. Tree lights and cords can cause shocks and burns. Tinsel can cause intestinal blockage. Ornaments can also cause GI damage or poisoning. Best to keep kitty away from the tree unless you're there to supervise her! On the other hand, my childhood cat regularly ate the tinsel (in the days when it was made from lead!) and regularly drank the water and lived to be 17. (Adapted from About.Com)


Chibi answered on 12/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer