If every time my cat bites me & i immediately hit her hard and do nothing else. Would that teach her biting=pain??

if she bites again, and i hit her again and do nothing else but that (but IMMEDIATELY) so that she knows WHY she's being hit.. would she relate her biting with pain??

Asked by Member 1142140 on Nov 25th 2012 Tagged cat, biting, punishment in Behavior & Training

Answers

Batfink

Unfortunately Cats are very unlike dogs and they will most likely not learn by punishment from you. All in all the cat WILL associate YOU with pain and comne to avoid or resent you....dangerous and upsetting.
If you do not want kitty to play with your hands or bite, just do not allow her to play with your hands, offer her toys, when she does bite....remove your hand leg etc FIRMLY say NO do not shout, and walk away from the situation the fact that you show no interest or reaction to this behaviour and you do not intitiate it is enough to teach your cat that its not acceptable or fun. To be fair, if you think its ok to hit her she will think its ok to bite you, it wont stop. Try a different approach! And dont hit your Cat!!! Please have a think about WHY the cat is biting you too and come back for another question if you like?

Batfink answered on 11/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

October

I am not going to go on about how you shouldn't be hitting your cat- it's true, but you did ask on here, so you must know there have to be better solutions and your hitting the cat probably isn't working well to train him/her and is likely going to hurt your relationship if it hasn't already. There are a lot of reasons cats bite and you have to sort of do detective work to evaluate why your cat is biting in the first place. Does it dislike where or how it is being petted? Is it in play mode? Is it in pain? From there we can adjust your behavior toward the cat to make it stop biting you. Bottle fed babies are also notorious for not knowing how to "behave properly". Also, how old is your cat, how long has this been going on, how long have you owned the cat and how did you come to own the cat?

October answered on 11/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm sure that if you have always reacted with violence to your animals misbehavior, you see nothing wrong in it and wonder why everyone who's answered your question is berating you. Unfortunately, violence breeds violence and you are not teaching your cat anything by causing her pain. Animals will react with more biting when they're in pain. That's how fights start. If my husband and I argue, screaming leads to more screaming, but if I shut up and walk away, it's over, Period. Learn to read your cat's signs. Ears down, eyes bulging, fur ruffled...she's gonna bite. Back off. No touch. Walk away. No playing with her with hands or feet. Hands off toys only. Don't try to pick her up or pet her until she knows that a hand coming at her isn't going to smack her. Cats aren't that delicate, but a hard smack can break bones or cause brain damage. I don't think THAT'S the lesson you want to teach her. You can always ask your vet, if you have one, how to handle the biting. No more abuse, OK?