If Aloe Vera is toxic to cats WHY do they sell it FOR CAT HEALTH?

The oldest recorded cat was 32 and its owner said she gave her cat aloe vera everyday in the cats food...

Asked by Member 821446 on Mar 30th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

The plant itself is poisonous to cats but perhaps the gel inside is not? I would verify with a vet before using anything questionable for your cat.

What Allie said is right. There have been some pretty outrageous claims in the animal (and human) health fields over the years. Remember the cabbage soup diet? I've also heard that giving your dog garlic helps repel fleas. All it gave my three was some nasty gas and they STILL got fleas. If Aloe Vea (or anything else) could guarantee our babies would live that long, I have to believe that the pet food industries would have picked up on it by now and marketed it to the public. The only Aloe Vera I've seen in the pet food store is in shampoo and other products used on the outside of the animal. As Allie said, I would absolutely check with my vet before I gave my cat anything like that.

I have aloe vera plants and two cats. I noticed one time the tip of one of my plants was gnawed off. I asked my vet about it and he said as long as they were not eating alot of it, it shouldn't be a problem. I keep the plants in a green house now. I never had any sick cats from aloe.