ELVIS God's little angel

i would love to know how to care for dying cat, any good ideas on how to spoil him rotten?????????

my 12 year old male cat elvis has inoperable cancer/
diabeties, liver enlargement poss cancer spreading, did not want to have him opened up any more to know, i know he is coming to his final weeks i feel it in my soul. i want to give him the best , i stopped with the insulin, he hated needles, he started walking better and even perked up. i feed him extra protein to help with his diabeties/cancer. i dont know everything, i just want him to be comfortable.
he has taken to sleeping in cpu room by register vent so i bought heated bed he loved it, but loved my bed more, but he could not jump up so i put my bed on floor for him. i have cried more than humanly possible
i am scared, but i had to ask for any ideas some of you might have used??? just trying to make the most
for him in his final time, my heart just wants what is best which is why i am paying extra for the in home euth... any ideas would be sooo appericated by me..

Asked by ELVIS God's little angel on Jan 5th 2008 in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Morgana - forever my soul

If you work, can you take time off or holidays to spend with Elvis? I was able to quit my crappy job (had enough money to survive on) & spent the last month at home with my Medusa. She liked to lie snuggled with me so I spent a lot of time just laying in bed, cuddling with her.

If not too cold outside & if Elvis likes to go out, can you take him out in your arms or let him sit on your lap outside to sniff the air & watch birds & squirrels where you are? Wrap him warmly.

What he liked before, he'll still enjoy as long as he has you holding him or beside him. Smother him with kisses. Do as much as you can to keep him purring as it releases calming endorphins that will make both him & you feel better. I love Izzie's idea to sing to him. Humming is soothing too.

I'm glad you arranged for in-home pts. And finally, when you feel his suffering outweighs his enjoyment of life or even of you, let him go. It's the hardest, yet most loving, gift we're able to give. My heart goes out to you.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on Jan 6th.

Answers

Mysty (The Princess)

I'd let him eat whatever he wants, make sure you give him lots of love, and if he has pain see if you can get him pain meds. We will keep you in our purrs

Mysty (The Princess) answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Madge

Whatever he or she wants and all the time and emotion you can give.

Madge answered on 1/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

My "gang" and I will keep you and Elvis in our thoughts and prayers. You seem to be doing everything humanly possible to make Elvis comfortable. But, don't overdo. Let Elvis dictate what he wants. The thing that will make your heart feel the best is spending lots of time with Elvis. Talk to him, sing to him, tell him how much he's meant to you over the years. Pet him when he wants you to because this will make you feel good as well as Elvis. We'll keep the two of you close in our hearts. Please message me if you need to talk.

Genny  In Loving Memory

Love him and then love him some more

Genny In Loving Memory answered on 1/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Let him do everything he's always wanted; if he's always wanted to go outside, pick him up in your arms and the two of you take a walk. Let him pig out on treats. Most importantly, though, spend a lot of time with him. Read to him (no, it's not crazy; cats don't care that they can't understand the words; they just care that you're spending time and talking to them). Lay down with him, pet him, and talk to him often.
Just think of what you would want to do in your last days of life; you would want to spend time with your family, wouldn't you? And have fun.
You're both in our purrs,
Schroeder

Zap

TLC, just make him feel loved, you want his final days to be happy ones.

Zap answered on 1/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

October 1992-2007

I was a cancer cat. my meowmy gave me all her attention she would spend 12-18 hours a day with me. I ate everything I ever wanted mostly what I could keep down. Spoil Elvis rotten every moment you can. Tell him you love him as much as you can and then do it some more.

My meowmy knows your pain. I was her daughter. Our family wishes you the best.

October 1992-2007 answered on 1/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Kassie of the Rainbow Bridge

Just let him know how much you love him. If it's comfortable for him, hold him and stroke all the special places he loves. I'd let him eat what he wants and do what he wants. I would try not to leave him alone. That's what my mom did for me when my FeLV hit.

Kassie of the Rainbow Bridge answered on 1/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Cybill

I just crossed the Rainbow Bridge this past Tuesday. My mom held me and cuddled me, which is what I liked best in this world. Even though I was very sick and didn't feel very good, I managed to purr for her until it was all over.

Mom is very sad, but knows that she gave me as much love and cuddles as she possibly could and that she sent me across the bridge before I was in a lot of pain. Someday, I will get cuddled by her again.

I know that this is the saddest time for you, and my heart breaks just thinking about saying goodbye, but it is something that we all have to do. Just make sure that you exchange as much love as you possibly can with your kitty and pack your heart full of happy memories that will carry you until you are reunited.

Love, Cybill and her Mom

Cybill answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Ginger - In Loving Memory

Whatever Elvis loves, toys, places in your house, etc., put them near him or him in them! Spend as much time as you can just loving him...some cats LOVE cuddling, some don't...whatever he loves do it for him. It IS scary...just do your very best for him...especially at the end....you will know his love your you in your heart forever!

Ginger - In Loving Memory answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lancelot

Most likeley even if he is being brave, he does not feel well. Which means all he wants is to be close to you and relaxed. lay with him, and let him feel your warmth and heartbeat, and it will comfort him so much.

I know how hard that is to give, just laying with him, knowing what is coming, but you have the knowledge that you have done and are doing everything you possibly can for him. That can be very comforting if you let it.

And when you have sad thoughts, try to intermingle them with happy ones once in a while. Something funny or cute he has done before or lately.

And when you do cry, just remember that is because you love him so much, and you have given him something so wonderful and precious, and he will never really leave you because of that.

We are thinking of you two, and you have our purrs.

~Lancelot

Lancelot answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ben

My cat will probably have diebitis some day. (m y vet said)so I think that you should not get him as much treats becuase it will just put weight on him, do him a favour! Also play with him more often!

Ben answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Morgan The PirateGato

I am so sorry you are going through this. Watching any special friend lose their quality of life is heartbreaking.

If you stopped Elvis' Insulin, definately feed him more often and high protein. Boiled Chicken Breasts, ground cooked chicken, turkey/chicken baby food, Fancy Feast.

Just spend as much time together as you can, he knows you love him very much. If he is comfy being held, just hold him and pet him and talk gently to him.

Before we lost our 18 year sheltie we spent a lot of time laying on the floor with her and just snuggling and petting her. We would carry her outside to do her business - but most of the time - nothing happened until she came back in on the rug. God took her during the night, and we thanked him for making her journey easy.

You sound like a wonderful person, and my heart goes out to you right now. Just let your heart take over - it will guide you through this.

♥Morgan The PirateGato answered on 1/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Blackberry Pretty Pink Angel

My Meowmie went through the same before I crossed the Bridge.

The truth is that you can't really plan. Meowmie and I winged our way through the entire process. I don't think that there's any other way to do it.

If you love your kitty (which you do), and you're sensitive to his/her needs (which you are), then all you can do is to take each day as it comes and do the best you can.

I don't really need to add the bit about loving your kitty as much as you can, do I? Because you do?

Very quickly, just one more thing. By all means plan for a home euthanasia, but bear in mind that events may overtake you. They did for me and my Meowmie. So don't plan too much, but treasure each day together...and take lots of photos/videos! They really help!

Blackberry Pretty Pink Angel answered on 1/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Angel

you tell them everyday how much you love them and tell them its okay to go and wait for you and youll be fine and hold them ,and be greatful they were in your life....and lots of warm love,good food ....kisses and hugs

Angel answered on 1/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sasha

When my cat Bud was dying from cancer I just let him do what he wanted to do. But I did spend quite a bit of time just holding him and talking to him. We would go out on my balcony and I would let him walk around. Then he would walk over to my adirondack chair so I would pick him up and hold him close. The birds would come to the feeders that were hanging over our heads and Bud would sit there and just watch them. Then he would look up at me from time to time. It was like he was telling me that he loved me. Just love him, hold him and let him know that you are close. That is probably the best that you could do for Elvis. I don't know how many times I told Bud that I loved him in those last days. Especially while I held him after he died.

Nicci

Sasha answered on 1/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer