i would like to MILDLY and SAFELY sedate my cat before vet visits.

she is an indoor cat, so all outside distractions make her very nervous and she cries constantly. she weighs 9 lbs. so i am very hesitant because i wouldn't want to give her too much for her weight.

Asked by Member 797385 on Jan 27th 2009 Tagged calm, nervous, cat, goingtovet in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Ask your vet for a prescription pill that you can give her before the vet visit. My friend just got a Valium Rx for her cat and it worked wonders for poor Meezee. She just called ahead and he determined the right dose and she was able to just go pick up the pills and have them ready for the day of the vet visit. Then she had to give them to Meezee an hour before. Animal dosing is much different than humans based on weight and the amount that she had to give for her was enough to knock a human out. So I would not mess around with trying to figure it out yourself.

Allie is right. Your vet knows your cat and her history (including any neurological, heart or lung issues your kitty might have which could be impacted by dosing with sedatives) and he is the one you should ask. You may want to ask if your vet makes house calls as many do. The extra cost incurred may be well worth not having quite such a traumatized kitty.

Rico

Just ask your vet and he/she will give you a pill for your kitty - but you will need an accurate weight. (I did this with a cat I had years ago - he was very aggressive and this was the vet's idea!)

Rico answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

My vet uses torbutrol as a sedative and has prescribed some for Freckles for when I bring her in on Friday (they need to clean out the ear mite gunk/wax that is still blocking one of her ears and its important she doesn't wriggle too much). You could ask them about this and if they think it would be a good option they can supply it and confirm the right dose for your cat.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer