I was wondering is purina's cat food really killing cats? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Has anyone ever heard of this. I was wondering if purina's food really kills cats and causes urinary issues. I keep seeing this on facebook and elsewhere on the internet. My kittens eat friskies and nellie eats purina one chicken for adult cats cause she just turned one years old and rice flavor. Is this really true?

Asked by Member 979470 on Apr 15th 2010 in Pet Food

Answers

Those are just people's opinions and if you do everything somebody else tries to tell you to do, you'll go crazy. Purina is a reputable company and there is nothing wrong with their foods. However, most of them contain all sort of grains and fillers. Many people believe that you shouldn't feed dry food at all. Cats that are prone to urinary issues do need a healthier diet and often canned food is the best thing for them. I prefer a holistic dry food that does not contain corn, soy, meat by products, etc and while I don't believe that it would kill my cats to eat supermarket quality food, I don't want them to have that any more than I would eat at McDonalds every day. Buit that is my opinion and what I feel is best for MY cats. You need to read all the facts, do your own research, read the labels and make your own decisions on what you think is best for YOUR cats and what you can afford to feed them.

Leia

Purina is not good, my vet calls it junk food. Don't think it will kill your cat but it can't be too good.. Try looking into Evo, Chicken Soup or Wellness, or at least ingredients with meat listed as the first few ingredients and no by-products. Good luck and try researching the internet if you have time. Here is a site that has helped me a lot. www.rateitall.com

Leia answered on 4/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike

I feed my cats Science Diet ("Kitty Krack") because that's about the best food available in Japan. When the big scandal over poisoned cat food occurred, I was lucky that the SD I was feeding my brood was safe, while some premium foods were not. One thing to remember: Fluffy is not going to live forever, no matter what she eats. As Izzie says, if the food seems to agree with your cat, and the price agrees with you (even with SD, I spend around $300 monthly on cat food), you shouldn't feel pressured to change. If you're really interested in the subject, visit the food forums, where you'll get a lot of useful links about cat food/nutrition. I'd like to feed my cats premium food, but most brands aren't being imported to Japan, and those that are imported are too expensive (one $15 bag of food would serve as a single meal for my crew). If you have the curiosity and the economic means, you might try some "better" brands. But Purina One isn't going to kill your cat.

Spike answered on 4/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Sam

The fur gang here would get Purina every now and then. There was one that Sam loved. I thought it was a good food, so I keep getting it for her. But she started to vomit, so I changed the food back to Purina's top brand Pro Plan. I think a few months later tried her one it again, and again she started vomiting. I have since heard other cats have had the same problem, This info came from our vet clinic as well as other people we have spoken too.
I e-mail Purina with this info, but of course they brushed me off. I figured they won't know unless we report it. Maybe there is something in it to cause it. Anyway after that 3 of my 4 cats were diagnosed with crystals in their urine so they are now on a prescription food to prevent the crystals.
I don't know if this help.
BTW the 3 cats were all from the same family the 4th is unrelated but lives in the same house.

♥Sam answered on 4/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I switched my cat to purina one weight control and after about three months she had urinary crystals.She is now on urinary s/o royal canine for the last couple of years. It is a very fatting food I feed 3/4 cup a day and shes still about two pounds over weight. Don't know if purina food caused the problem but I wonder.

My cat is in the hospital right now and will there until tomorrow. He is suffering from urinary issues and is blocked, hopefully he can come home tomorrow. His diet is, WAS Purina One Indoor Formula, when I told the vet she said there is no question his condition was caused by the poison Purina labels as food.

ALL I KNOW IS FOUR HEALTHY CATS OF MINE ON PURINA DRY CAT CHOW THAT WERE VERY HEALTHY THEN BECAME ILL AND DIED ALL SHOWING THE SAME SYMTOMS. I HAVE STOPPED FEEDING PURINA DRY CAT CHOW AND NOW FEED ANOTHER DRY FOOD BUT 75 PERCENT OF MY CATS NOW EAT HUMAN FOOD. PURINA KNEW SINCE 2007 THAT POISON WAS IN THE DRY CAT CHOW BUT CONTINUED TO SELL IT. I THINK A CLASS ACTION SUITE SHOULD BE PUT FOWARD AND THEY SHOULD BE FORCED TO REMOVE THE POISON IN THE DRY CAT CHOW.