I was thinking about getting a cat. The breed I was considering is a siamese but I don't know anything about cats and I

I am thinking about getting a siamese cat. I don't know the first thing about cats let alone a siamese is this breed the right one for the two of us? I have allergies bad I am willing to take meds for my allergy and get this type of breed for my daughter but I want the right breed for our first cat. What do you think is the best breed for us please help.
Thank you
Rena Wilson

Asked by Member 1108645 on May 1st 2012 in Breeds J-Z

Answers

I am a Siamese and I think I'm the smartest, most personable breed around! Siamese are very smart and are often described as doglike. I'm very affectionate and energetic and I follow my mom everywhere. I love to sit in her lap and sleep with her, although not all cats do that. I also do tricks!

Whatever kind of cat you get, please, please don't buy one from a breeder. There are so many sweet cats in shelters that desperately need homes. You can often find purebreds there as well. Go to Petfinder.com and do a search for cats available for adoption in your area.

Ghost

I will admit I have never met a Siamese but I don't think they would make a good first cat for someone who doesn't know much about cats. Every breed is different and some people even believe colors can affect their demeanor (tabbys laid back, striped cats wild, calicoes picky as examples). You can start by googling Siamese and reading about their traits. Cats that are highly intelligent sometimes require a lot more attention. .. On allergies, Siberian cats are said to be hypoallergenic . I would recommend a big love bug like that, Norwegian forest cat or Maine coon.

Ghost answered on 5/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer