Emmi

I want to know the breed of my cat! Can some people tell by looking? Can the vet tell me? HELP! :P

Asked by Emmi on Mar 17th 2008 in Breeds

Best Answer

Hunter

You are a DSH (domestic short hair). You are tortiseshell in color. Most likely you are female. It is very rare that torties are male cats. It is a sex dominant trait (passed on to females). Your vet will be able to confirm this though.

Hunter answered on Mar 17th.

Answers

I agree with Hunter, and your vet can determine what breed(s) you might be.

Schmoo

I agree, you are a domestic shorthair, either a tortoiseshell (tortie) or calico, and they are usually females! You are a beauty!

Schmoo answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sophie

If you want more information, there is genetic testing available now that can give you an estimate of breed composition (small, medium, large portion). The test isn't expensive. I talked to a sales rep at our vet clinic. The test can be run in-house for about $55. Check with your vet. It might be available where you're at, or if not, the next closest major university. Good luck!

Sophie answered on 3/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Toe Lula Tunnelworth

Hi Emo,
Your coat length makes you a domestic shorthair. Your beautiful coloring-the black, with cream and orange splashes along with your white feet chest and tummy make you a tortoishell and white. Calico, tortoishell, and torti and white are female sex linked colors. There are males of those colors but they`re extremely rare and usually sterile or hermaphrodites. (having both male and female sex organs) That`s about all you can really tell without trying to do fairly expensive genetic testing, and that may not prove anything. Regardless of genetic makeup you are a truely unique and beautiful kitten. Your vet can clear up the gender questions. Good luck! Lula =^..^=

Toe Lula Tunnelworth answered on 3/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Queenie

your markings are what they call tortishell. But you should ask your vet what breed she thinks you are if you want to know.

Queenie answered on 3/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First of all, you are what would generally be called a "domestic short hair" or "mixed breed." Officially, only pedigreed cats can be categorized by breed. Now, as to your cat's color--a very lovely example of a tortoiseshell and white, which is what I am, too (although my papers tell me that I'm a Maine Coon, and I'm long-haired). As others have mentioned, it is very, very rare for a tortoiseshell or calico cat to be male, as only females can display red and black at the same time. Male torties are thought to be the result of a kind of genetic anomaly that makes them what we would call a kind of "intersex" cat; they are usually, but not always, infertile.
(see www.messybeast.com
However, that being said, it's more likely that Emo is actually a female. Since s/he is only a kitten, such mistakes in gendering are not uncommon. I'd advise you to get Emo's sex checked once more, as you don't want "him" to come home one day pregnant!