I want a ragdoll, I was told they are non allergen, Google search did not list ragdoll breed as a low allergen breed

Asked by Member 1106760 on Apr 20th 2012 in Allergies

Answers

No cat is truly "hypo-allergenic". Some breeds do tend to be more easily tolerated by those with allergies. Ragdolls, to my knowledge, are not one of them. Some breeds that may be tolerated are: Siberian, Sphynx, Cornish Rex, Devon Rex, Oriental Shorthair, and Balinese. Anyone with allergies needs to meet and handle the cat they are considering to see if they can tolerate the cat.

Working with an allergist, getting a vacuum with a good hepa filter, getting rid of carpeting (hardwood or tile floors are best for allergies), and bathing the cat every 1-2 weeks may also help.

Maggie

Ragdolls are NOT a low allergen breed. Your best bet would be to find a breeder (for any breed you choose) or a friend who has one who is willing to let you visit and play with the cats to see how you or the allergic person react to them.

Maggie answered on 4/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer