I used advantage over a week ago and my cat still has fleas

i used advantage for eggs and all and used the one over 9 pounds but i found 3 fleas still walking around on her this am she has been scratchy so i checked again. I know she is allergic to fleas and bites and even the medicine. Guess i will have to move back to vegas. She was fine there, just here in huntington beach this started!!!

Asked by Member 783217 on Dec 25th 2008 in Home Grooming

Best Answer

Boris

Right-o.

Boris ended up getting fleas from the carpet of the previous apartment we lived in (they can hide there for years, dormant, waiting for a cat or dog to attack). One dose of Revolution plus a capstar (your vet can prescribe those) killed everything on him, but the fleas kept trying to bite him. I had to pack him up, give him a second capstar for good measure, and treated all upholstery and carpets with a spray that contained PreCor. PreCor is an ingredient that prevents new flea eggs from hatching. Then we came home a few hours later, and I vacuumed like crazy for days. I also laundered all bedding and upholstery that could take water in really hot water and put in the dryer at the highest setting (if they can't take water, spray them too, and then allow them to air dry or vacuum with a hand vacuum). The dryer's heat helps kill the buggers. Anyway, after a week of non-stop cleaning, we were flea free until we had to move again (and I had the new place bombed beforehand).

Boris answered on Dec 28th.

Answers

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

I am sorry your cat has fleas. Be aware that moving is NOT the answer as the fleas will just move with you!

That being said... To effectively treat fleas you have to treat the environment as well. Mom and I moved into a house that was infested with fleas. Mom had to figure out the main source and eliminate it while treating ALL of our furniture. She actually had to use a flea bomb 3 times to get rid of them. Plus use a flea powder on all upholstered furniture. Fleas like to hide in bedding, couches, upholstery, carpeting, etc. They will even hide in your yard begging free rides from unsuspecting people...

Mom treated me for it, even had me dipped! Everyday mom would use a flea comb on me, twice a day, flushing the fleas down the toilet . I hated it, but it really helped!

The Advantage probably did kill most of the fleas on your cat. However, if the environment is not treated as well, the fleas wont go away.

Good Luck!

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 12/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

As the previous poster said make sure to treat the environment she lives in for fleas. Also, not all flea neds work for every cat. Maybe try a different brand such as Frontline Plus or Revolution.