Luke/Leia

I took my 10 month old female "Leia" in to be spayed today and transported her in a small cage that she had never been

in before. Once home she did some minor re-exploring but has retreated to the cage to just sit contently. Why?

Asked by Luke/Leia on Jun 28th 2012 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

To be honest, Leia is "spaced out". 8o) Spaying is a bit more complicated that neutering and requires more anesthesia. In addition, if you have given her painkillers, that's adding to her current chilled-out mood. Plus, she is probably a little sore and sitting still causes her less pain. Leave her be. Offer tiny amounts of food/water and don't be surprised if she vomits. It's normal. She'll be back to her old self by this weekend. Keep an eye on the incision site for redness, excessive licking, drainage or swelling. If you notice anything unusual, call your vet right away. And thanks for doing the right thing and having her spayed.

Pepper

I just had my little babies in last week, and the little girl did exactly the same thing! For us, we left them at the vet and they put them inside the big vet cage and let them come out of the carrier themselves and play around. So for her, it may just be a comfort thing right now. Also remember what "being under" does to humans, imagine poor little kitties, that don't know what is actually going on, so I wouldn't worry. Give her 2 days and she'll be back to her normal self again. She is just seeking enclosures right now.

Pepper answered on 7/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer