Rory

I took in a cat a month ago, turns out shes expecting. I know cats can't digest milk, but since shes carrying, should I

She seems to be about 5-6 weeks along. I just want to know if the milk will benefit the kittens when it comes time for nursing

Asked by Rory on Sep 1st 2013 in Kittens

Answers

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to give cats cow's milk. She could be lactose intolerant and now would not be a good time to find that out since her body is already stressed by the pregnancy. Feed her as good a quality of kitten (yes, kitten!) food as you can. It has the extra vitamins and nutrition she needs right now. You can also purchase "Cat Sip" which comes in a carton that looks like a juice box and is sold in supermarkets in the pet food section. Also, do take her to your vet for a well-kitty exam just to make sure all is well with her and the kittens. When it comes to time to adopt the kittens out, call your local rescue or shelter and ask for pointers on how to interview potential adopters for the best forever home for the babies.

Izzie says things better than I do, and usually the same as I would. FYI there are studies which are linking the highest rates of breast cancer in people to the highest dairy ingesting countries. People are the only species to drink and eat milk from other species (cows and goats). Even if organic, it's not 100% digestible, especially for felines. I stick to organic Winn-Dixie soymilk for humans; my cats smell it and walk away. ^_^ Meow to the healthy kitten food!!

Dixie

NO DONT GIVE HER COWS MILK!!! cats don't do well with cows milk its almost like they are lactose intolerant and cant have dairy products. feed her kitten food as it will help with nursing and give her the nutrients she needs to keep fit and suckle her kittens.

Dixie answered on 9/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer