Merlin

I think my kitten ate some dark chocolate! What should I do? And if cats can't taste sweet why would they eat it?

I found a pieces of dark chocolate in Merlin's bed. I was eating some last night and I think I might have forgotten the piece out! I have never ever given her chocolate before because I know it is bad for cats. It doesn't look like she had much of it, the edges of the block were a bit smooth like she had licked it a bit but I am still worried.

Also, I read that cats can't actually taste sweetness, so if this is true why would she go for the chocolate or other sweet stuff that she sometimes tries to taste? Just curious about that as well.


Asked by Merlin on Jul 29th 2011 in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Izadore (Izzie)

Theobromine is the toxic ingredient in chocolate. And, you're right. Cats are less likely to consume chocolate b/c they can't taste its sweetness. Signs to watch for are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. From there, the symptoms progress and eventually lead to death. Since you don't know how much she actually did consume, keep an eye on her over the weekend. It might also be a good idea to get in contact with her vet and ask their advice and if, she becomes ill this weekend, there is an emergency number or 24 hr. vet clinic nearby.


Izadore (Izzie) answered on 7/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer