I think my cat was sprayed by a skunk, I smelled a strong skunk odor in my backyard 3 days ago and havent seen her since

Why would she run away?

Asked by Member 1155206 on Feb 14th 2013 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Not to worry you, but it's possible that not only was she sprayed, but also attacked. I may be wrong, but I think skunks are related to badgers and won't back down from a fight if cornered or threatened. Have you been proactive about looking for her? If you go out at night and check around with a flashlight, if she's hiding under a deck, porch, car, etc., her eyes will shine in the dark. You should also notify your local animal control officer (through your police department), local shelters and rescues, and post photos and info about her in stores if they'll allow and on signposts in your neighborhood. Inform your neighbors that she's missing and ask them to keep an eye out in their yards. Hope she's OK and she returns home soon.

In my experience, cats get along just fine with skunks. I have a few outside ferals that I take care of and I have seen them go so far as to bop the skunk on the head or try to play with it. The skunk, 100% of the time, just toddles off. I have never seen a skunk spray a cat. Now dogs? That's a whole different story! :) I hope your cat came home!!