Sophia-lily

i think my cat is sick

Sophia is acting strange. She sneezes all the time now that she's been home (weve had her for a week) and now you can hear her breathing from about four to five feet away. She's also very lethargic, i know the best thing i can do is take her to the vet and i already have the appointment. I just wanted to know what you uys out there thought and if you think its anything serious.

Asked by Sophia-lily on Jan 14th 2010 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

So glad to hear that you are taking her to the vet. I am sorry though that she is not feeling well :(

It could be an Upper Respiratory Infection, which is easily treatable with antibiotics. This is very common in cats that have come from the shelter. They will listen to her lungs and heart and may want to do some blood tests as well, since there are other more serious diseases that have similar symptoms. But only your vet can diagnose that.

We will be purring like crazy for her to feel better soon! Good luck

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 1/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, it does sound like a URI and the vet visit is the best thing you can do for her. Keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating ok and take note of anything you need to talk to the vet about and be sure to ask him all your questions while you have the chance. I always think of stuff later that I meant to ask so I try to write things down. Is your other cat up to date on her vaccinations? The FVRCP vaccine will help protect her but I would keep them separated until you find out for sure what is wrong with Sophia. But sometimes new kitties just get sick because of the stress of a new home after being exposed to things at the shelter.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q)

What we also did for Sussie whom had URI's which I call kitty colds most of her senior life was get a dehumidifier and air filter things and out them in her room where she lived often and slept. This helped her out a lot. Just an idea. Also ask the vet too if the kitty could have allergies or asthma. I have had kittys with these things. They also breathed very loud for a kitty. Good luck hope the kitty feels well soon.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q) answered on 1/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

URIs have various causes, both viral and bacterial. As I'm sure you know, antibiotics only work on bacterial infections--but work very well. Viral infections are more problematic. In Japan, we often use liquid Interferon. In the U.S., L-lysine is commonly used. In any event, you need to get a vet's opinion on what is wrong with your kitty--which you are planning to do. One of my kittens has a grossly enlarged heart--my vet doesn't think he will live very long. The large heart takes up lung space, and he lacks energy. I am not trying to alarm you, just trying to think what could be wrong with your cat. The more information you have, the better the vet (if a good vet) can work with you. And we all care.

Chibi answered on 1/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer