I rescued my cat a year ago. Not friendly, doesn't let me get near her only at feeding time. Doesn't purr.

I rescued her from shopping center parking lot. She was about 6 months old and had a litter of three. A vet in the area trapped her and brought her in to check her out. Was in good condition only had to be dewormed. Vet spayed and declawed her and I took her home. I also have another female and a dog. Took her a while but gets along with them. Only problem is doesn't want anything to do with me or my family only when she wants to be fed, she comes around; otherwise doesn't let any of us hold her or pet her. Always keeps to herself and doesn't purr at all. Don't know what to do to make her come around. Seems afraid of people.

Asked by Member 1128562 on Aug 31st 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

It's hard to deal with, I know. You rescued this kitty, take care of her and probably saved her life and she doesn't seem to appreciate it. When she was rescued, she was probably well on her way to being feral, or wild. It was a rough start for her. It's good that she gets along with your other animals or it could be a lost cause. I can tell you that when I adopted my Delilah, she was a biter and had been at the shelter after being abandoned, pregnant, for a year because of her temperament. I've had her for 4 or 5 years now and it's just in the past year that she's stopped biting when petted. I didn't do anything special with her, just left her alone. I never tried to restrain her by picking her up or pet her when she didn't come up to me. My daughter has a semi-feral cat whom you can only pet with one hand and never pick up. When your kitty does come up for feeding, lavish her with praise with a calm, soft voice. Hands off. She obviously needs more time. Be patient and loving. Purrs!

Rogue

Izzie gives Excellent advice here. Your Kitty has been through alot in the past year, and its likely that she wont show you a great deal of what you would expect as Human to pet interaction, I know its not the same but similarly we rescued ten year old Rogue a year or so back and she still wont sit on my lap, and flinches at affection, but she definatley is settling in, she would run hide hiss and growl at just about everything, where as now, she sits in the busiest room of the house, interacts with our Boisterous 2year old daughter and sleeps cuddled at my feel everynight, Izzie is right, leave Kitty to it, and be there when she does come, Well done for giving her a loving home !! hope you are well

Rogue answered on 9/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer